Sunday, March 30, 2014

Lord, if you had been here… Sermon 5 Lent A

Here is a sermon I wrote back in 1996. It looks at the story of Lazarus from the point of view of the sisters who questions Jesus by saying "Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died." It looks at how loss in our own lives leads to that questioning of God, but ultimately can lead to a deeper knowledge of how much we are loved.


5 Lent A - Lazarus
John 11:1-44
3/24/96
St. Alban’s Episcopal Church
By Rev. Valerie Hart


As I read the gospel for today, the line that jumped out to me was “Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.”  If only you had been here. How often in our lives we say or feel that. If only God had provided a miracle and my mother had not died. If only I had been offered a better job. If only my spouse had not divorced me. If only I had a little more money. If only I had a little more time. If only I had children. If only I didn’t have small children to care for. If only God would heal me of my physical, emotional, or spiritual suffering.
“Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.” We can’t really blame Mary and Martha for feeling this way. After all, they had seen Jesus heal people who were a lot sicker that Lazarus. He had told the lame to walk and the blind to see. Why didn’t he heal their brother, who was his friend, not just a stranger on the street. They had sent for him to come, but he had delayed. If he really cared he would have come immediately. Or he could have easily healed him from a distance. Yet Jesus let Mary and Martha’s brother, his beloved friend, Lazarus, die. He had let him die without even trying to heal him.
“Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.”
Sometimes we too feel that Jesus has abandoned us. If he really loves me the way the Bible and church tell us me does, why am I suffering? Why do I sometimes feel alone, abandoned? Why doesn’t he respond to my fervent prayers? If he loves me he would heal me. If he loves me he would take away this pain. If he loves me he would change the heart of my husband or wife. If he loved me my loved one would not have died.
After all, where was Jesus, this lover of souls, this lover of little children, when that insane incarnation of evil entered a classroom in Scotland and started shooting?
“Lord, if only you had been there they would not have died.” must be the agonizing feelings of the parents who mourn.
What kind of callous person does not come immediately when a friend is ill? What kind of person delays for days for no clear reason? What kind of God let’s there be so much senseless suffering in the world?
“Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.”
Yet Jesus weeps. He feels the pain and suffering of Mary and Martha, he grieves for the death of Lazarus, he weeps for the very human sorrow. Just as Jesus weeps with us in our pain, grieves with us in our grief, fears with us in our fears, and knows the anguish of feeling abandoned.
God could change all this. The all mighty creator could get rid of all suffering and pain. Jesus could have kept Lazarus alive. But that is not what happened. God leaves suffering and sin in the world. Jesus let Lazarus die. Why?
When hearing of Lazarus’ illness Jesus says that the illness is for God’s glory. He also says that he is glad he was not there “so that you may believe.”
“Lord, if you had been here our brother would not have died.” mourns Mary and Martha. Jesus’ response is that without the death of Lazarus, they and the disciples would not fully believe, would not know the true power of God and would not fully understand who Jesus is. It was necessary for Lazarus to die, painful as that was, for God’s glory to be fully known.
Jesus could have chosen not to submit to the cross. He could have chosen a different path. He could have avoided the pain and suffering involved. He could have easily justified to himself reasons to not die. He asked God to remove the cup he was about to have to drink from. Perhaps he prayed to his Father “If only I don’t have to die this way then.....” But the suffering of Christ was necessary for us, each of us, to come to know how much we are loved. There was no other way. It was necessary for Lazarus to die for Jesus to glorify God through bringing him back to life. It was necessary for Christ to die in order to demonstrate the power of God’s love through the resurrection.
Sometimes we must go through periods of intense pain, in order to know God at a deeper level.
“Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.” but her belief would be weaker, and she would not have known the full power of God.
When we go through painful periods in our life, whether the death of a loved one, the end of a relationship, extended illness, loss of job, bouts of depression, the reason it is so painful is that a part of us is dying. A part of our egos, of who we thought we were, is dying. Perhaps the good daughter, or the perfect wife, or the ultimate provider - those images of who we think we are - is dying. And it hurts, it hurts a great deal to have part of our self identity die, part of who we think we are. Yet without death, there can be no resurrection. Without Good Friday, there can be no Easter. Without the pain of loss we are not able to realize how deeply we need God’s grace, how much we long for Jesus to be part of our lives, how deeply we are loved.
Have you ever noticed that it seems to be the times when we are most devastated, feeling worst about who we are and what is happening in our lives, that if we can open up to another person and share our pain we discover that we are loved more deeply than we would ever acknowledge before?
Have you ever noticed that it is when we have reached bottom, when our suffering is greatest, that we most realize our need for God? It is when we are humbled by life’s difficulties that we are able to acknowledge our need for grace and to receive it abundantly. It is after a time in which we have died to who we thought we were that we come to a greater realization of who we really are - Beloved children of God.
Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died.
Lord, if you had been here, I would not have had to die a little inside.
Lord, if you had been here, I would not have had this opportunity to see the glory of God.
Lord, if you had been here, I would not have seen you weep and know that you weep with all those who grieve.
Lord, if you had been there, we would not know of your power.
Lord, if you yourself had not died, we would not know of your resurrection.
Let us pray

Jesus we thank you for the difficult periods in our lives that have led to a deeper knowledge of you and a greater capacity to love and be loved. We thank you for the assurance that you weep with us and walk with us. And we thank you for your sacrifice on the cross that tells us that out of every death, every loss, you have the power to bring resurrection, for you are the resurrection and the life. AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment