Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Maundy Thursday Sermon

I wonder what Mary Magdalene was thinking as she tried to sleep on that Passover evening so long ago.

Sermon
Maundy Thursday, 4/13/06
The Rev. Valerie Ann Hart
St. Alban’s Episcopal Church, Brentwood

I’d like you to imagine Mary Magdalene, tossing and turning during the night, thinking about the Passover supper that evening. Perhaps these were some of her thoughts.

What a Passover. This whole week, there has been such an odd feeling. I’m glad we’re in Jerusalem. I usually feel so joyous to be here. I remember so many wonderful Passovers during my childhood, especially the times when my family was able to get to Jerusalem. We’d camp out on the hillside with the crowds. It was a festive time, music, laughter, seeing old friends, talking through the night. But the best part was to see the temple. You could see it from anywhere in the city, and it was always lit up at night. To be so close to God. But of course Jesus tells us that God is everywhere, not just in the temple, and I know he’s right, but I don’t think I’ll ever stop being in awe of it.
Jesus doesn’t seem to be in awe of the temple or the priests. He doesn’t seem to be intimidated by anything. I can’t believe he was driving people out with a whip. I could see how angry the scribes and the temple priests were. I’m surprised the temple guards left him alone. What could he have been thinking? He certainly didn’t make any friends that day. Or maybe he did make some friends. The poor people who were being overcharged seemed to appreciate it.
I’m glad I’m not out in a tent tonight. It was good of our friends to let me stay with them. But as I look out at the hillside and see all the campfires I kind of wish I was out there. I wish I was with Jesus and the others. But he said I was safer in the city. I wonder what he meant by that. There were lots of nights when we all slept under the stars. He never did have a home, just wandering from place to place. I always felt safe with him. Why would he be concerned about my safety tonight?
He has been acting so strangely lately. Even when all the crowds cheered when we arrived, he didn’t seem to enjoy it the way the rest of us did. He looked distracted. That’s just not like him.
And tonight’s meal, how strange he was. Everything was perfect. The upper room was large and airy. It was so well prepared. Everything we needed. Even the food was great. The lamb that Martha had roasted, so moist. She certainly is a good cook.
And I enjoyed making the unleavened bread with the others. I remember as children when we made the loaves that my mother would always remind me why we ate unleavened bread at Passover. I loved the way she talked about our distant grandmothers who had to hurry to make bread for the journey out of Egypt. Every time I make the Passover bread I think of them, excited, afraid, busy with packing and cooking. They didn’t even have time to let the bread rise. And then the years wandering in the wilderness. I wonder how they raised their children. I’ve thought of those women a lot these last months while we slept under the stars, the same stars that they slept under.
But tonight, Jesus was different with the bread. Of course he sat at the head of the table and we were all gathered around, but when it was time to break the bread he looked so serious. I’m really worried about him.
What was that he said? Oh, yes, “this is my body.” What could he have possibly meant by that? He said something strange at the end of the dinner too. Something about the wine being his blood. It scares me the way he keeps talking about his death. Just when things are looking up, just when the people are beginning to see how great he is, he starts talking about death. I just don’t understand. I don’t blame Peter for asking him to stop dwelling on it. I think Peter’s a little concerned about him too. Perhaps it is just the stress of all the crowds. Maybe he’ll take some time away after the Passover. It always does him good to get off by himself.
He did something else strange at the dinner. John told me about it. I was with the women cleaning things up. Evidently he took off his robe and then washed the other’s feet. Jesus said they should wash each other’s feet too, but only Jesus washed feet last night. I wonder what he meant. Jesus often does strange things trying to teach us. He makes me think of the stories of the prophets who would act outrageously in order to make a point. Well, we all know that Jesus is a great prophet so I guess it’s not that strange, but I wonder what he meant. What was he trying to teach us? He was acting like a servant. Hum? Maybe he wants us to be servants of each other. How would I feel about washing someone’s feet? It’s certainly would be humbling.  I’m glad I wasn’t in the room when he did that. I don’t think I would want anyone washing my feet, especially Jesus! I hear that Peter felt the same way. I can’t blame him.
I feel so confused tonight.
It was a wonderful meal. We were all together, yet, I don’t know, I just can’t sleep. I know that something is wrong.
For some reason I can’t get Judas out of my mind. He looked strange tonight. Usually he is so sure of himself, sometimes he even seems a little cocky, but tonight, when I greeted him, he couldn’t meet my eyes. That’s just not like him.
I remember now, Jesus was whispering to him and he suddenly got up. Why would he possibly leave in the middle of the Passover dinner? Certainly nothing can be important enough to do that. He almost seemed like he was sneaking out.
It certainly has been a strange night. I’ll ask Jesus about it in the morning.
But, somehow I know that he is in trouble. I guess the only thing I can do is pray.

And then there is a frantic knock on the door and a voice cries “Magdalene, come quick! They’ve taken him!”


No comments:

Post a Comment