Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Kaleidoscope of butterflies


March 31, 2020

  Yesterday on my morning walk I noticed a butterfly flitting across the road. I turned to look at where it had come from and discovered a bush bursting with blooms. Suddenly I was swarmed by butterflies, at least twenty or thirty flew out of the bush, around my head and across the street. 
  Did you know that a group of butterflies is called a kaleidoscope? Imagine in your mind a kaleidoscope of butterflies. If that doesn’t bring a smile to your face I don’t know what will.
  Since that encounter I’ve been thinking that while we, humanity, are focused on a virus, the rest of earth’s inhabitants have been going on as usual. Perhaps the creatures in the cities are appreciating the cleaner air. Perhaps the wildlife in our parks are enjoying fewer human visitors. But otherwise, in the spring in the northern hemisphere, as the earth warms, plants are sprouting, flowers are blooming and butterflies are migrating.




No comments:

Post a Comment