Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Welcome Home Part 1 - The importance of being a welcoming community


This week, and for the next few weeks, I do not have a copy of a sermon that I can share on this blog. Instead I will be sharing some of the thoughts I have had about how the church can be a truly welcoming community.

Walking into a church on a Sunday morning can be quite intimidating for a new person. Approaching and entering a strange building that is filled with people who know one another takes a great deal of courage. One must be highly motivated to cross that threshold. There must be a longing of some kind, a need or a hope that drives one into the personal space of an unknown community. This is a vulnerable position heightened by a fear of doing or saying something wrong because one doesn’t know the social norms, the language or the expectations of the community. It is not unlike disembarking alone off an airplane in a country where you know no one and don’t speak the language.

After twenty years of active ministry as an Episcopal priest I am having an opportunity to experience what it feels like to be the stranger. I have begun my retirement traveling around the country visiting friends, relatives and national parks in my RV. During these months on the road I look for a church each Sunday. Wherever I am on Saturday night I take out my smart phone and search for a nearby Episcopal Church. I then go to the website or call the office of nearby churches and see which one to attend. Sometimes I get a sense to either explore or ignore a church based on its website. Usually I chose the church by location and time of services.

Even though I have been a part of the Episcopal Church in one way or another throughout my entire life, at these congregations I am a stranger. My church visiting experiences are varied. There were places where I feel a warm welcome and that I am immediately a part of the community. More often I feel ignored, tolerated or downright unwelcome. All that I have learned at church growth seminars, all that I have tried to incorporate into the worship of the churches where I have served, takes on a new meaning as I live the role of the stranger.

After some months on the road I came to have a longing for a home. Not a longing for a physical home, but for a church home. I realized that something deep in my soul longed for a spiritual community. I came to realize that when someone walks into a gathering of a spiritual community, they are consciously or unconsciously longing to come home to the divine.

From these experiences I have come to a new understanding of the great spiritual importance of the role welcome within the spiritual community. I could even say that the primary purpose of a spiritual community is to welcome the stranger home to a relationship with the divine.

My posts for the next few weeks will be exploring what that means and how a community can be truly welcoming. 


No comments:

Post a Comment