Wednesday, April 29, 2015

3 Easter B

Here is a sermon I preached a little over a week ago. I describes God as a grandparent and how God takes delight in each and every one of us.

3 Easter
April 19, 2015
St Paul’s Episcopal Church, Tustin CA
The Rev. Valerie Ann Hart
Luke 24:36b-48
1 John 3:1-7

Today, the third Sunday of Easter, used to be called Jubilate Sunday. Last week, was Thomas Sunday because we always read the story of Thomas’ doubt on the Sunday after Easter. The third Sunday was called Jubilate Sunday because we used to read the Psalm that began in Latin with Jubilate Deo. Jubilate means shout for joy. Today is the day when we shout for joy over the resurrection of our Lord.
Now joy is an emotion that needs to be embodied. We shout for joy. We jump for joy. If someone tells you that they are feeling lots of joy with a still body and not much affect on their face you would be pretty sure they were not as joyous as they said. Instead, joy makes us want to move, to shout, to jump.
We express our joy during the Easter season with the word Alleluia. Alleluia means praise the Lord, with a big explanation point. When we say alleluia we are expressing Joy in the resurrection. It needs to be embodied. I once learned the American Sign Language sign for Alleluia. It goes like this (demonstrate two claps and then raising the arms in a curly motion). Try it. Alleluia (leading sign language expression of it.)
This is Jubilate Sunday when we shout for joy because the resurrection is really good news. The kind of news that is so good it is hard to believe. It is like sitting at home and having the doorbell ring. When you answer the door you see cameras and microphones and a person standing with a giant check for a million dollars. That is really good news, but we might find it hard to believe. We would be wondering who set up this joke. This couldn’t be true. I never win anything.
This is what it means in the Gospel today where it says that the disciples the disciples as in joy and disbelieving. This disbelieving is not like the doubt of Thomas. It is not so much that they doubt what they are experiencing, but that it is just too good to be true.
And it is good news, good news that is hard for us to take in. It is more than just that Jesus was alive again, it meant that all he taught and the radical new relationship with God that he talked about was true.
The Good News is best summed up in John’s letter today that says, “See what love the Father has given us that we should be called children of God.” We are beloved children of God.
I’d like you to think about someone in your life when you were a child who really loved you. Who was delighted by your very existence. We all had someone who loved us deeply or we would not have grown up to be function human beings able to get ourselves to church on a Sunday. Who was it for you? It could have been parent or a grandparent. It might have been and aunt or an uncle. Perhaps a cousin or a neighbor, or a Sunday School teacher or a coach. Think about that person who really loved you as a child. What was that like?
For me, it was my grandfather. I remember when I was very little, probably under four, and we would go on adventures. My grandmother would make fudge (the best fudge I have ever tasted) and then put two big pieces in a small lunchbox that I was able to carry. My Grandfather would take my hand and we would set out on our adventure, which just meant walking half way around the block and finding a shady spot to sit and eat our fudge then walking home. But those adventures were important to me because I could see that my grandfather enjoyed the as much as I did. He took delight in me, even though I was his youngest grandchild. He still was delighted by y existence. He enjoyed just being in my presence and we took mutual delight in each other.
I’ve been thinking about my grandfather a lot since becoming a grandparent. There is something wonderful about being a grandparent. I took delight in my grandchildren even before they were born. Once I knew they were coming, I was delighted by their existence. They don’t have to do anything, or be anything special. Just by their existence I take great delight in them.
Being a grandparent is different than being a parent. Parents love their children and would do anything for them, but they also have a lot of responsibilities. They need to be sure they eat healthy foods and that they get enough sleep. They are also responsible for domesticating them. They have to be sure they learn where to go to the bathroom, not to hurt other people or themselves, to wear clothes, to develop manners and to share. Parents have to set limits and deal with resistance. All grandparents have to do is love the child, to take delight in them. For example, my granddaughter is 16 months old now and has learned the concept of NO. She doesn’t use the word yet, but it is real clear when she shakes her head, waves her arms in front of her face (make actions) that she does not want the food that she is being offered. For her parents this is frustrating. They want her to eat, and eat a healthy balanced diet. And it is hard for them to not take in personally, like she is rejecting them, for as a grandparent I can remember each of my own children going through that stage, smile and think about how she learning preferences and developing such a good strong will.
I like to think of God not so much as a parent, but as a grandparent. I see God taking delight in each and every one of us. And when we are being a bit obstinate God sees that as a stage we are going through, developing a sense of will, perhaps. And I am sure that God took delight in each and every one of us before we were born, as we are a manifestation of God’s love.
Think about that; let it in, God delights in YOU! God sees you with eyes of delight. God sees you and delights in you the way that special person of your childhood delighted in you.
That is such Good News! That is Great New! That should make us dance of Joy. To shout Alleluia! To shout out in joy!
And it is hard to let in. It is such good news that we find ourselves resisting in. We think of how unworthy we are, but God’s delight in us has nothing to do with worthiness. Of course we are unworthy, but love is not about being worthy. It just is
God delights in each and every one of us, like a grandparent delights in a grandchild. Like that special person delighted in you as a child.
One of the best moments of the past year was when I got to my son’s house and walked down the hall to where he was with my granddaughter. When my granddaughter saw me he face lit up and I could see that she was delighted to see me. And I was delighted to see her. That moment of mutual delight was magnificent. I wonder if that is how God is with us. That when we notice God’s presence and take delight in it, perhaps in a sunset or a church service or a piece of music, God experiences delight in our delight of God.
Since we were created for God’s good pleasure, do we bring pleasure to God when we remember to check in through prayer, when we delight in creation, when we love other people, when we take time to sit quietly in God’s presence.
This is such good news it is hard to believe. It is also such good news that it is hard not to share
Christ is risen, Alleluia!



No comments:

Post a Comment